DEC 8-10, 2017. Haines Junction, Yukon, Canada.
Welcome to the 2nd Annual Haines Junction Mountain Festival! We are planning an exciting celebration for the weekend of Dec 8-10, 2017, in Haines Junction, Yukon, in honour of the UN’s International Mountain Day.
This free mountain festival celebrates science, research, First Nations culture, and mountain culture in all its forms – outdoor recreation, workshops, arts, live music, films, dance and shared meals.
- The Festival Schedule is being updated with additional details frequently as they are finalised
- Free meal tickets for Sat Dec 9 (brunch and dinner) can now be reserved online at: Event Brite site
- Volunteer for Mountain Fest!
- Kwäday Dän Ts’ìnchi Discovery presentations and Book Launch – ‘Long Ago Person Found’ in the ice patch, by Champagne Aishihik First Nation and researchers involved in the discovery, Sat Dec 9. Book copies will be for sale at the Da Ku book store.
- Presentation on the recent Kluane-region earthquakes by geologist Michael Schmidt and by Natalia Martinez (Argentinian climber rescued off Mt Logan after the earthquake) and Parks Canada mountain rescue staff, Sat Dec 9
- Yukon communities premiere of film ‘Journeys to Adaka‘, Sat Dec 9
- Declan O’Donovan will be playing a live music set on Fri Dec 8 at the St Elias Convention Centre
- Yukon premiere of ‘The Frozen Road’ (fatbike trip to the Arctic filmed in the Yukon Winter), Fri Dec 8
- New ski film from Haines Pass by Claude Vallier , and he will be selling his new Haines Pass Ski book.
- Workshops through Yukon College on Sun Dec 10 including Backcountry Trip Planning, Avi Tranceiver Skills and an Interpretive Ski Tour.
- Mountain Yoga on Sun Dec 10 at 10am with Lia Fox
- Group Fat Bike Ride on Sun Dec 10 at 12pm
- Booths on Sat Dec 9 from Artists and Craftspersons (Libby Dulac, Sarah Davidson, Martin Laniel, Fred Stick Jr.), Photographers (Bruce Binder, Marty Samis, Mike Schmidt, Derek Wolfe), FN Culture (Marion Primozic – plants and tea), Haines Jct Trails Committee, Yukon Search and Rescue (YSAR), Claude Vallier – Haines Pass Ski Book, the Arctic Institute of North America, Yukon Bird Club and Kluane Squirrel Research Camp.
- Paint Mountain Pottery and Inky Fingers Studio and Gallery will offer print-making and pottery colouring workshops, see Workshops for details.
- Asian Dinner for sale Fri Dec 8 6-8pm (St Elias Centre), and Lunch Sun Dec 10 (at Top Spot Gas Station)
- Little Green Apple will be open with Grab and Go Breakfast food on Sun Dec 10 at 0900.
Visit the various tabs across the top for information on the event Background, Schedule and Activities, (Schedule, Meal Reservations, Workshops, Music, Films, Booths, Recreation, Mountains 101), Volunteering, Sponsors, Haines Junction Services, and Contact.
For more information, to have a booth (free), or to volunteer, please email us at yukonmountainfest [at] gmail [dot] com